No products in the cart.
There are lots of amazing cookie recipes out there. But even when we follow step-by-step instructions, sometimes our cookies don’t turn out quite right.
Cookie cooking pro Katherine Frankstone, founder and mastermind behind Grey Ghost Bakery, shares several tips that will help you make the perfect cookie. Plus, she shares one of her amazing recipes for sugar cookies.
1. Use the best butter you can find! Fresh, unsalted butter will make all the difference in your cookies.
2. Don’t be afraid to try out new recipes or to add nuts or fruit to a favorite recipe.
3. Don’t overbake your cookies. The cookies will continue to bake a little while they rest on the cookie sheet, before you take them off to cool.
4. Parchment paper makes cookies bake more evenly and makes for very easy cleanup!
5. Double the recipe so you have cookies to share!
Easy Sugar Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Gradually add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
3. Whisk egg, milk and vanilla extract together in another bowl. Slowly add the liquid to the butter mixture and blend thoroughly on low to medium speed until the mixture is smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to insure even mixing.
4. Turn the mixer to low speed and gradually add the flour mixture, blending just until incorporated.
5. Turn dough out onto waxed paper. Flatten into a disk, wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.
6. Position racks in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
7. Roll dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/8″ thickness. Cut out assorted shapes with your favorite cookie cutters. Carefully transfer cut cookies to cookie sheet and decorate with colored sugar, cinnamon sugar, or other flavored sugar. Space cookies approximately 1″ apart.
8. Bake 8-10 minutes until just lightly browned around edges. (Baking time varies with cookie size and thickness.) About halfway through baking time, rotate the cookie sheets from front to back and top to bottom to insure even baking.
9. Cool cookies completely on cooling racks.
10. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week (but they probably won’t last that long!).